- Cooking Time: 3-5
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 15/1 hour rest
- •3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- •1 teaspoon salt
- •1/2 cup cold water
- •1 egg
- •1 egg white
- •1 teaspoon vinegar
- •3 tablespoons shortening (I used butter flavored, same kind I use when I make flour tortillas)
- 1. In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
- 2. In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
- 3. Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
- 4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
- 5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- 6. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
- 7. After resting period, you are ready to make empanadas! Roll out into 6" circle and fill with your favorite type of filling. ( usually go for shredded chicken and Mexican melting cheese. )
- 8. Crimp the edges with a fork and place in a pan of hot oil. Fry until golden brown and then turn. Drain on paper towels and enjoy!
- Tip: If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.
NotesYou know I love Mexican food! I was working in an office and my coworker was from Mexico and she was always bringing in wonderful food. One day, she brought in a spicy chicken empanada. It was heavenly. I asked for the dough recipe and she didn't know so I looked up a few and this one is my favorite! Turns out the coworker would go to a woman's house and bring back food :) I
These are so easy and you can make them savory or sweet.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More