- Cooking Time: 3-5
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 15/1 hour rest
- •3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- •1 teaspoon salt
- •1/2 cup cold water
- •1 egg
- •1 egg white
- •1 teaspoon vinegar
- •3 tablespoons shortening (I used butter flavored, same kind I use when I make flour tortillas)
1. In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
3. Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
6. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
7. After resting period, you are ready to make empanadas! Roll out into 6" circle and fill with your favorite type of filling. ( usually go for shredded chicken and Mexican melting cheese. )
8. Crimp the edges with a fork and place in a pan of hot oil. Fry until golden brown and then turn. Drain on paper towels and enjoy!
Tip: If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.
These are so easy and you can make them savory or sweet.