- Cooking Time: 3-5
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 15/1 hour rest
- •3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- •1 teaspoon salt
- •1/2 cup cold water
- •1 egg
- •1 egg white
- •1 teaspoon vinegar
- •3 tablespoons shortening (I used butter flavored, same kind I use when I make flour tortillas)
- 1. In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
- 2. In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
- 3. Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
- 4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
- 5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- 6. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
- 7. After resting period, you are ready to make empanadas! Roll out into 6" circle and fill with your favorite type of filling. ( usually go for shredded chicken and Mexican melting cheese. )
- 8. Crimp the edges with a fork and place in a pan of hot oil. Fry until golden brown and then turn. Drain on paper towels and enjoy!
- Tip: If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.
NotesYou know I love Mexican food! I was working in an office and my coworker was from Mexico and she was always bringing in wonderful food. One day, she brought in a spicy chicken empanada. It was heavenly. I asked for the dough recipe and she didn't know so I looked up a few and this one is my favorite! Turns out the coworker would go to a woman's house and bring back food :) I
These are so easy and you can make them savory or sweet.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
MetroCooking DC 2013
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More