- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: two loaves
- Preparation Time: 120 (including rising)
BackstoryPerfect for toast! And perfect for cooks who are afraid of working with yeast. Requires no kneading. I have no idea where it came from - and I have no idea where it goes but it disappears every time I make it! Easy to whip up in the afternoon and slice it up for toast the next morning.
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 pkg. yeast (5 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups white flour
- Heat milk and water - warm; almost hot but not too hot to touch
- Mix first six (dry) ingredients in large bowl.
- Add milk and water.
- Stir and let rise 45 minutes uncovered
- Add remaining 2 cups white flour.
- Stir until smooth.
- Spoon into 2 greased loaf pans, dusted with corn meal.
- Let rise 45 min. uncovered. (the top of the fridge is a great place!).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 min.
- Remove from pan immediately.
- Allow to cool before slicing.