- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 2 loaves
- Preparation Time: 20 + 45 minutes rise tim
BackstoryI love English muffins and found this recipe in the book that came with my stand mixer. It's so quick & easy to make; the only time consuming part is waiting for the bread to cool so you can cut & eat it!
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup water
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use kosher salt)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Combine milk and water in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120-130 degrees F)
- Place 4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to Speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Gradually add warm liquids to flour mixture, about 30 seconds. Mix 1 minute longer.
- Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time. Knead on Speed 2 for 3-5 minutes longer. Dough will be very sticky (they ain’t kidding!)
- Spread dough into two 8½ x 4½ x 2 ½ inch loaf pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from drafts, for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.