- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 2 loaves
- Preparation Time: 20 + 45 minutes rise tim
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup water
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use kosher salt)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Combine milk and water in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120-130 degrees F)
- Place 4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to Speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Gradually add warm liquids to flour mixture, about 30 seconds. Mix 1 minute longer.
- Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time. Knead on Speed 2 for 3-5 minutes longer. Dough will be very sticky (they ain’t kidding!)
- Spread dough into two 8½ x 4½ x 2 ½ inch loaf pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from drafts, for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
NotesI love English muffins and found this recipe in the book that came with my stand mixer. It's so quick & easy to make; the only time consuming part is waiting for the bread to cool so you can cut & eat it!
Babette's Test Kitchen
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
SPOOKY HALLOWEEN TREE
Slow Cooker Beans
Sugar-Free Blackberry White Chocolate Ice CreamSee More