English raisin scones
All-purpose flour // 2 1/2 cup
Confectioners sugar // 1/4 cup
Baking powder // 1 tbsp
Baking soda // 1/2 tsp
Salt // 1/2 tsp
Raisins // 3/4 cup
Buttermilk (or 2 tbsp yogurt + milk) // 3/4 cup
Unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes // 1/2 cup
Egg, large // 1
:Egg wash: (Optional)
Egg yolk // 1
Milk // 2 tbsp
1. Preheat 220C/400F.
2. Combine flour + baking powder + baking soda + sugar + salt and sieve the mixture two times. Add in butter cubes, blend until flakes like, add in raisins.
4. Combine buttermilk + egg, add in the butter mixture. Stir gently until well blended.
5. Roll the dough into 1 inch thick rectangle sheet. Use round cookie cutter to cut out each scone dough and line it on the baking sheet.
6. Brush egg wash (optional), bake 15~20 minutes until golden brown.
1. Serve best when warm with clotted cream and jam. I just don't understand why is it so difficult to find clotted cream here. In Vancouver, you can easily buy them from grocery store like Safeway. Maybe I will have to make clotted cream myself....T_T
2. Scones can be stored in air tight container for 3 days or freeze in the freezer for up to a month.