- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Soup ingredients:
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small head escarole, sliced in a one inch wide shred
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1/3 C Orzo or other small pasta
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of one lemon half
- Fresh Parmesan
- Meatball ingredients:
- 1/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 green onion, minced
- 3 T breadcrumbs
- 1 T Parmesan cheese
- Mix all meatball ingredients together well, seasoning with salt and pepper. Shape into one inch balls. Place on a baking sheet sprayed with PAM. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- For soup, heat olive oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and rosemary to pot, saute until onion has softened. Mix escarole in with the onions and rosemary to coat with oil. Cover pot for 1 minute to let escarole wilt.
- Add broth and orzo to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a covered simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add meatballs to soup. Mash garlic clove with salt to form a paste. Add to the soup with the lemon juice before serving. Ladle into bowls with fresh parmesan, pepper and chopped green onion as a garnish.
NotesI found a battered recipe card from my college days with this on it. Not sure where it came from. I made it twice last month, adjusting the recipe for my current tastes and cooking methods. It is surprisingly simple in ingredients, the rosemary goes along way flavoring the dish and making your kitchen smell wonderful.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Broiled Salmon with Olive-Tomato Vinaigrette
Peanut and pretzel truffles
Veggie KebabsSee More