- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- For the tomatoes:
- 1 pound (about 6) large plum tomatoes, each cut in 6 wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste*
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon chopped, fresh tarragon
- For the Warm White Bean Vinaigrette dressing:
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste*
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup hot water
- For the salad:
- 1 pound escarole lettuce mix, including radicchio, escarole, frisée, chicory and mâche or
- 2 pounds of the same lettuce in heads, cleaned of damaged leaves, cored, washed and
- broken in bite-size pieces
- 3 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 ounces (about 1/3 cup) pitted black olives, quartered
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Toss the tomatoes and oil on a large sheet pan and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with tarragon and cool. When just cool to the touch, lift carefully with a spatula to make sure the tomatoes are not sticking to the pan.
- To make the dressing, purée all of the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a skillet.
- Toss the lettuces and scallions in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the dressing until simmering, stirring often; add more water if needed to keep it the texture of unbeaten cream. Toss the dressing with the lettuces. Mound on a large platter or on individual plates. Scatter the olives on top and arrange the roasted tomatoes decoratively on and around the salad.
NotesA bed of crisp greens, topped with tarragon flavored plum tomatoes and drizzled with warm and creamy white bean vinaigrette dressing, makes this a one-of-a-kind healthful dish. Canned cannellini beans, pureed in the dressing, give a creamy texture without adding fat; instead they boost the fiber content of this tasty salad!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More