ESCAROLE SALAD WITH ROASTED TOMATOES AND WARM WHITE BEAN VINAIGRETTE
Escarole Salad with Roasted Tomatoes and Warm White Bean Vinaigrette
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- For the tomatoes:
- 1 pound (about 6) large plum tomatoes, each cut in 6 wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste*
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon chopped, fresh tarragon
- For the Warm White Bean Vinaigrette dressing:
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste*
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup hot water
- For the salad:
- 1 pound escarole lettuce mix, including radicchio, escarole, frisée, chicory and mâche or
- 2 pounds of the same lettuce in heads, cleaned of damaged leaves, cored, washed and
- broken in bite-size pieces
- 3 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 ounces (about 1/3 cup) pitted black olives, quartered
Heat oven to 450°F.
Toss the tomatoes and oil on a large sheet pan and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with tarragon and cool. When just cool to the touch, lift carefully with a spatula to make sure the tomatoes are not sticking to the pan.
To make the dressing, purée all of the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a skillet.
Toss the lettuces and scallions in a large mixing bowl.
Heat the dressing until simmering, stirring often; add more water if needed to keep it the texture of unbeaten cream. Toss the dressing with the lettuces. Mound on a large platter or on individual plates. Scatter the olives on top and arrange the roasted tomatoes decoratively on and around the salad.