- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Serves 12
- Preparation Time: 180 minutes
- 34 Oreo cookies
- 2 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (Medaglia D'Oro is great.)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted, unsalted butter
- 1 pint vanilla ice-cream (I like Häagen-Dazs Five Vanilla Bean.)
- 1 pint chocolate ice-cream (I like Häagen-Dazs Dark Chocolate.)
- 1 pint coffee ice-cream (McConnells Turkish Coffee is my absolute favorite!)
- A handful of chocolate covered coffee or espresso beans
- Set the vanilla ice-cream out to soften while you make the crust.
- To make the crust, use a food processor to finely grind the Oreos. You want the result to be smooth, without large cookie chunks. Pour the ground Oreos into a large mixing bowl and fold in the espresso powder and the melted butter. Remove about 1/3 cup of the mixture and set it aside.
- Add the remaining Oreo-espresso mixture to a 9 1/2 inch pie plate. Using your hands, gently press the mixture to evenly coat the inside of the plate (bottom and all the way up the sides), to form the crust. It should be about 1/4 inch thick. Put the plate in the freezer until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the pint of vanilla ice-cream evenly on the crust. Use a small, flat- bottomed spreader to make the layer smooth. Sprinkle about half of the reserved crust mixture over the ice-cream, and return the pie plate to the freezer for 40 minutes. After about 20 minutes of the freezing time, set the chocolate ice-cream out to soften. Once the vanilla is very frozen, spread the chocolate pint on top, and sprinkle it with the rest of the crust mixture. Again, freeze for about 40 minutes, and set the coffee ice-cream out to soften about 20 minutes in. Finally spread the pint of coffee ice-cream on top and this time, decorate it with the chocolate covered coffee or espresso beans. It should be kept in the freezer for at least 40 minutes before serving.
NotesI have always wondered how an Oreo cookie crust would taste if I added a handful or so of espresso powder to it. Truthfully, I've actually been wondering this for about a year. Now I know. It's amazing! My dad loved this pie at his birthday dinner!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More