Espresso Ice Cream
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup coffee beans, coarsely ground
pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
1 large egg, whole
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat the milk, cream and coffee in a saucepan until warm and steamy. Do not boil. Cover, remove from heat and let steep at room temperature 1-3 hours, depending on how strong you like your coffee.
2. Set a mesh strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth (or use a large coffee filter) over a large bowl. Slowly pour milk mixture through cheesecloth to remove coffee grinds.
3. Reheat coffee-infused milk until steamy. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, eggs and sugar in large bowl. Slowly pour the heated milk into the egg/sugar mixture, a ladleful at a time, whisking constantly so egg yolks are tempered by the warm milk instead of cooked by it. Return egg/milk mixture to the saucepan and add pinch of salt.
4. Stir the mixture constantly over medium-low heat with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon or spatula. Sweep a finger across the spatula and when the coating doesn't run, the custard is ready. Remove from heat immediately.
5. Remove cheesecloth from strainer and pour hot custard through the strainer only. Add vanilla extract and stir.
6. Chill custard thoroughly in the refrigerator, preferably overnight, before freezing in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions
Pairs Well With
If you are an ice cream lover I highly recommend buying your own ice cream maker, such as the Cuisinart Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker. Ice cream machines have come a long way from the old rock salt, hand-cranked models of my childhood. Not only are modern ice cream makers affordable, they are also easy to use. And best of all, you can offer the ice cream to your family with confidence, knowing it is free of harmful chemicals and preservatives found in many commercial brands.
This is our favorite ice cream flavor. Slightly bitter, robust and rich, it is especially delicious when paired with dark chocolate sauce. As always buy the freshest, highest quality ingredients available and preferably organic milk and cream. Don´t forget to freeze the ice cream container 24 hours before use.