Essential Chicken Saute
1. 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2. 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3. 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
4. Freshly ground pepper, to taste
5. 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
1. Trim visible fat from chicken breasts. Remove the tenders (the long thin flaps); reserve for another use (see Tip). Place trimmed chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow glass dish. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, shaking off excess.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until well browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
3. Continue with the sauce of your choice, as directed in Step 3 of Mango Sauce, Creamy Mushroom & Leek Sauce or Provencal Sauce.