- Cooking Time: 45 to 55 seconds
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- 1. 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- 2. 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3. 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4. 3/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 5. 1/3 cup whole flaxseeds, ground (see Ingredient notes)
- 6. 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 7. 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 8. 1 teaspoon salt
- 9. 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 10. 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 11. 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12. 1/4 cup rice bran oil or canola oil (see Ingredient notes)
- 13. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14. 1/2 cup hot water
- 15. 1/2 cup prune puree (see Tip), prune pie filling or Sunsweet Lighter Bake
- 16. 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 17. Confectioner's sugar for dusting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray and dust with flour (or use cooking spray with flour).
- 2. Spread nuts in a small baking pan and bake until golden and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- 3. Whisk flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, ground flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Mix hot water and prune puree (or pie filling or Lighter Bake) in a measuring cup; add to the batter and whisk until incorporated. Fold in chocolate and the nuts with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- 4. Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto the rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Recipes for Vitality
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More