- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy cooking club meets every month and we recently had an Ethiopian Pot Luck.
- 1 large bunch collard greens, about 1 1/2pounds
- 1/4 cup niter kebbeh, ghee or olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 fresh hot peppers, seeded and minced (or to taste)
- 1 cup broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Tear stems from collard greens, and wash greens well. Bring a large pot of water to boiling.
- Add greens to water and boil briskly for 15 minutes (I only boiled them for 8 mins,worked fine).
- Drain, squeezing water from greens.
- When cool enough to handle, slice them thinly.
- In a large skillet or stir fry pan, melt the niter kebbeh (or oil). Add onion, garlic, ginger and hot peppers and simmer, stirring ccasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add collard greens, broth, salt, pepper and cardamom.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until most of water has evaporated from pan.
- Serve with injera and buttermilk curds.