- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound red lentils
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 cup oil (I used 1/8 cup)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, sweet or hot
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2-teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4-teaspoon black pepper
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- Sort the lentils and soak in tap water for 30 minutes. Rinse in running water and drain.
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Peel and mash the garlic.
- Heat the oil in large pan and saute the onions until golden.
- Add tomato paste and paprika.
- Add half the water and the garlic, ginger powder, pepper, and salt.
- Stir well and then add the rest of the water, stir again, cover and bring to a boil.
- When the water boils, add the lentils.
- Lower the flame and cook 20-30 minutes, until the lentils soften.
- Serve hot.
NotesMy cooking club meets every month and we recently had an Ethiopian Pot Luck.
This recipe is common to the Ethiopian Jews (Phalashi). My understanding is that these are NOT unique to them.
Note: If I had to make this again, I would add more spices as I found it to be a bit bland...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Vegan Glass Jar GoodiesSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More