EVELYN BAXTER TAMPLINS' CHRISTMAS LIZZIES
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 3/4 cup wine
- 3 cups all purpose flour (have extra to sprinkle on fruit and nuts)
- 6 cups chopped pecans
- 1 lb. cut-up candied cherries
- 1 lb. cut-up candied pineapple
- 1 1/2 teaspoon each of allspice, clover, cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon soda
- Cream margarine, sugar, and baking soda. Add slihgtly beaten eggs, and mix well.
- Mix milk and wind. Add flour alternately with wine and milk.
- Tumble fruit and nuts in flour.
- Add floured nuts and fruit.
- Drop by spoon on slightly greased pan. Cookies should be about the size of a pecan.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 35 or 40 minutes.
Notes"My mother always cooked fresh coconut cakes for Christmas. As a child, I liked to crack the coconut with a hammer and put a nail in it to drain the milk. She used some of it for the caek, but she let me drink it from the shell. She also made a jam cake with her own jam. she made an orange slice cake and used candy orange slides and nuts.
"When I had my own family about fifty or sixty years ago, I made candy, popcorn balls, cookies and some cakes. The thing we liked best was the cookie called the Christmas Lizzie. We made Christmas Lizzies before Christmas. They will keep for weeks if stored in a comtainer."