EVELYN BAXTER TAMPLINS' CHRISTMAS LIZZIES
Evelyn Baxter Tamplins' Christmas Lizzies
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 3/4 cup wine
- 3 cups all purpose flour (have extra to sprinkle on fruit and nuts)
- 6 cups chopped pecans
- 1 lb. cut-up candied cherries
- 1 lb. cut-up candied pineapple
- 1 1/2 teaspoon each of allspice, clover, cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon soda
Cream margarine, sugar, and baking soda. Add slihgtly beaten eggs, and mix well.
Mix milk and wind. Add flour alternately with wine and milk.
Tumble fruit and nuts in flour.
Add floured nuts and fruit.
Drop by spoon on slightly greased pan. Cookies should be about the size of a pecan.
Bake at 250 degrees for 35 or 40 minutes.
"When I had my own family about fifty or sixty years ago, I made candy, popcorn balls, cookies and some cakes. The thing we liked best was the cookie called the Christmas Lizzie. We made Christmas Lizzies before Christmas. They will keep for weeks if stored in a comtainer."