- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 0
- 1/2 cup drained canned cannellini beans or other white beans
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 8 pitted colossal green olives, cut in 3 round slices
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce with Italian herbs
- 1-2 small black olives, cut in 1/4-inch dice, you will need 24 pieces
- 12 small club rolls (about 5-inches long), split
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mash the beans with a fork, potato masher or food processor until completely smooth. Mix with egg, ketchup, apple butter and soy sauce. Mix into the ground turkey using your hands until completely incorporated. Wet your hands with cold water, form 24, 1-1/2-inch meatballs, and put them on 2 sheet pans leaving plenty of space in between.
- Push a green olive ring deeply into the center of each meatball, with the circular side facing up. Mold the meat around the olive into a football shape so that each meatball looks like an eye. Bake for 10 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- While the eyeballs are cooking heat the tomato sauce in a saucepan until simmering, and keep warm.
- Remove eyeballs from the oven. Dab away any juice from the top with a paper towel and insert a piece of black olive into the hole in the center of each green olive giving each eye a dark pupil.
- To serve: Spoon 1/4 cup sauce in each roll, top with 2 tablespoons cheese and insert 2 eyeballs side-by-side staring out from each roll.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Calories 352; Total fat 8g; Saturated fat 3g;
- Cholesterol 68mg; Sodium 705mg; Carbohydrate 39g; Fiber 3g; Protein 28g; Vitamin A 6%DV*; Vitamin C 14%DV; Folate 14%DV; Calcium 23%DV; Iron 39%DV; Potassium 12%DV
- *Daily Value
NotesWhy order pizza on Halloween when you can whip up something spooky and satisfying? Apple butter, ketchup and soy sauce add flavor to protein-rich eyeballs (meatballs), formed from mashed cannellini beans and lean ground turkey. Before your children dig into bags of candy, give them a healthful, nutritious and fun meal on the run!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More