- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 50 small kirby pickling cucumbers (about 4 pounds), each about the size of an index finger, well scrubbed
- 10 cherry peppers, quartered
- 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced (don't seed)
- 1/4 large sweet white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 clean quart jars (or 8 pint jars) with lids and bands
- In 2-quart measuring cup, measure water. Stir in salt, vinegar and seasonings until salt is dissolved. Stir in garlic.
- Pack cucumbers and equal parts cherry peppers, jalapenos and onion into jars. Ladle in spiced brine, covering vegetables. Screw on lids and let pickles ferment at cool room temperature for 3 days. Refrigerate another 5 days, and they are ready to eat. They will keep up to 3 months, refrigerated.
- Makes about 4 quarts.
NotesThis spicy recipe comes from the Pickle People, wholesalers in Long Island, N.Y.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Vegan Eats!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More