- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 50 small kirby pickling cucumbers (about 4 pounds), each about the size of an index finger, well scrubbed
- 10 cherry peppers, quartered
- 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced (don't seed)
- 1/4 large sweet white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 clean quart jars (or 8 pint jars) with lids and bands
- In 2-quart measuring cup, measure water. Stir in salt, vinegar and seasonings until salt is dissolved. Stir in garlic.
- Pack cucumbers and equal parts cherry peppers, jalapenos and onion into jars. Ladle in spiced brine, covering vegetables. Screw on lids and let pickles ferment at cool room temperature for 3 days. Refrigerate another 5 days, and they are ready to eat. They will keep up to 3 months, refrigerated.
- Makes about 4 quarts.
NotesThis spicy recipe comes from the Pickle People, wholesalers in Long Island, N.Y.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
MetroCooking DC 2013
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More