- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3-4 T. Unsalted Butter, room temp.
- 2/3 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Currants
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Blend in butter. Mix in the buttermilk & currants.
- Turn dough onto a generously floured surface. Roll to a thickness of 1/2", then cut into 2-2 1/2" rounds. Place on baking sheet, about 2" apart. Brush tops with beaten egg.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with topping and strawberry jam.
- DEVONSHIRE CREAM SUBSTITUTE
- 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese
- 2 T. Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- Whip topping ingredients together until fluffy.
NotesJudi says, "Here's my scone recipe from the Halekulani Hotel in Hawaii. It is an uncomplicated formula that uses buttermilk and includes a sprinkling of currants. Pastry Chef Franz Schaier, suggests serving the scones with whipped Devonshire cream & strawberry jam, but if Devonshire cream is not a staple in your fridge, here's a substitute topping.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More