- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAugust and fall is fruit picking time. This recipe comes in handy when you have excess fruit.
- 4 cups cherries, pitted and halved or 4 cups of peach slices, pears, apples, etc.
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Line 8 inch pie plate with heavy foil or freezer wrap letting it extend 5 inches beyond rim. Add the 4 cups of filling mixed with other ingredients. Adjust sugar amount for the type of fruit.
- 2 Loosely cover filling with the lining foil or paper. Freeze until firm. When firm, remove from pie plate and wrap tightly. Return frozen pie filling to freezer.
- 3 To prepare pie for baking: For each pie prepare a two crust pastry. Line 9 inch pie plate with pastry. Remove freezer wrap from frozen shaped pie filling. Place in pastry lined 9 inch pan. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter and, if desired, sprinkle with cinnamon. Adjust top crust and finish pie as usual. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 1 hour or until syrup boils with heavy bubbles that do not burst.
- 4 Note: With such fruits as peaches, pears or cherries, stir about 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid into sugar before combining with fruit.