- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups cherries, pitted and halved or 4 cups of peach slices, pears, apples, etc.
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Line 8 inch pie plate with heavy foil or freezer wrap letting it extend 5 inches beyond rim. Add the 4 cups of filling mixed with other ingredients. Adjust sugar amount for the type of fruit.
- 2 Loosely cover filling with the lining foil or paper. Freeze until firm. When firm, remove from pie plate and wrap tightly. Return frozen pie filling to freezer.
- 3 To prepare pie for baking: For each pie prepare a two crust pastry. Line 9 inch pie plate with pastry. Remove freezer wrap from frozen shaped pie filling. Place in pastry lined 9 inch pan. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter and, if desired, sprinkle with cinnamon. Adjust top crust and finish pie as usual. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 1 hour or until syrup boils with heavy bubbles that do not burst.
- 4 Note: With such fruits as peaches, pears or cherries, stir about 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid into sugar before combining with fruit.
NotesAugust and fall is fruit picking time. This recipe comes in handy when you have excess fruit.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More