- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 pounds of onions - thinly
- * 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- * 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- * 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- * 6 cups of beef stock
- * 4 tablespoons of brandy
- * 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- * 1 teaspoon of salt
- * 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- * 1 French bread
- * 12 slices of Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven heat butter with oil and sugar until the butter and sugar have melted.
- Add the onions and cook over moderately low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring to brown them evenly.
- When onions have turned soft and golden brown, gradually stir in beef stock.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer gently, covered, for 1 hour.
- Toast rounds of French bread.
- When soup is cooked, stir in the brandy and the Dijon mustard, and taste for seasoning, adding salt or freshly ground black pepper if necessary.
- Place ovenproof soup bowls or crocks on a baking sheet with sides.
- Ladle the hot soup into the bowls and top each serving with 1-2 slices of toasted French bread (or croutons).
- Lay 1-3 thin slices of Swiss cheese on top of the bread.
- Under broiler, melt cheese until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
NotesSome say onions will make you cry … but this is really a small price to pay for a delicious French onion soup. Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Christmas CookiesSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More