- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 pounds of onions - thinly
- * 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- * 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- * 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- * 6 cups of beef stock
- * 4 tablespoons of brandy
- * 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- * 1 teaspoon of salt
- * 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- * 1 French bread
- * 12 slices of Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven heat butter with oil and sugar until the butter and sugar have melted.
- Add the onions and cook over moderately low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring to brown them evenly.
- When onions have turned soft and golden brown, gradually stir in beef stock.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer gently, covered, for 1 hour.
- Toast rounds of French bread.
- When soup is cooked, stir in the brandy and the Dijon mustard, and taste for seasoning, adding salt or freshly ground black pepper if necessary.
- Place ovenproof soup bowls or crocks on a baking sheet with sides.
- Ladle the hot soup into the bowls and top each serving with 1-2 slices of toasted French bread (or croutons).
- Lay 1-3 thin slices of Swiss cheese on top of the bread.
- Under broiler, melt cheese until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
NotesSome say onions will make you cry … but this is really a small price to pay for a delicious French onion soup. Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More