- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 1.5 Pnts
- Preparation Time:
- 4 to 5 perfect lemons
- 1 1/3 cups cold water
- Sugar ***
- Peel 3 of the lemons with fine fresh skin, removing just the yellow part of the peel.
- Cut the peel into the thinnest possible slivers (Long, sharp scissors are excellent for this).
- Slice the lemon pulp very thin and discard the seeds. (Keep the white pithe, it has valuable pectin.)
- Combine the pulp, the slivered peel, and enough juice from remaining lemons to make 1 cup of prepared lemon.
- Put it into a mixing bowl, add the cold water, and allow to stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 3 hours a least.
- *** Measure all the lemon mixture by cupfuls into a saucepan and add an equal amount of sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the marmalade jells, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow the marmalade, loosely covered, to stand overnight.
- The next day, stir the marmalade gently but thoroughly to distribute the rind and bits of pulp. Spoon into hot sterilized jars.
- Let the jars cool, then refrigerate. Or spoon the marmalade into prepared freezer jars, leaving 1-inch head space. Cool and freeze. Makes 1 1/2 pints
NotesThis recipe comes from one of my Southern cookbooks
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Carrot cupcakes or muffensSee More