- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t baking powder
- 1 T sugar
- ½ c cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ c cold water
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T butter
- 6 strips imitation bacon (Morning Star is great), chopped
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, stemmed, washed and rough chopped
- 1 c shredded Havarti
- 6 eggs
- 1 c heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare the shells:
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Cut in butter. Mix water and vinegar. With a fork, work water into dry ingredients a tablespoon at a time until it all comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and gently kneed.
- Divide into 6 small balls, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from plastic and roll out into 6 – 8” circles. Transfer to 6 tartlet pans (the one’s with removable bottoms work best for plating), lightly pressing into sides and trimming excess with shears. (Note: leave a bit of a ridge that extends above the rim as this will give them a nice rustic look.)
- Heat oven to 350˚
- Prepare filling:
- Heat butter in sauté pan and add breakfast strips (facon), cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add spinach and toss until wilted (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat and cool.
- Whip eggs and cream, add salt and pepper.
- Divide spinach mixture and cheese evenly into the 6 tartlets. Pour enough egg mixture to cover. Place tartlets on a baking sheet and cook for 35 minutes.
NotesYou can make the individual components of this the night before and refrigerate. Preheat the oven in the morning while you assemble.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Classic Chocolate Recipes
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More