- Servings: 12
- Cream Together:
- 5 lg egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet marsala OR Tia Maria
- For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1 lb. mascarpone cheese
- (if unavailable, use two 8 oz pkgs cream cheese plus 1/2 cup heavy cream and 5 Tbsp sour cream)
- 1 recipe Zabaglione, above
- 2 cups espresso, or strong coffee
- 1/2 cup brandy or sweet marsala
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 7 oz pkgs Alessi Savoiardi cookies
- (or crisp Ladyfingers)
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- grated chocolate for garnish
Beat eggs and sugar in top of double boiler until pale yellow.
In bottom of double boiler boil water, then simmer.
Place egg yolk mixture over water and gradually add spirits, beating constantly.
Scrape sides and bottom of pan & cook 6 to 10 minutes or until soft mounds can be formed. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Whip cream with 2 Tbsp sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in Mascarpone and Zabaglione; mix well. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
In separate bowl mix espresso and 2 Tbsp sugar, brandy and vanilla.
Arrange 16 cookies on the bottom of a 9" x 13" pan; spoon 1 Tbsp of coffee over each cookie. Spoon 1/3 cheese mixture over cookies & sprinkle with 1 Tbsp cocoa (via small sieve)
Repeat 2 more times, ending with cocoa.
Cover and refrigerate at least 5 hours or overnight so cookies soften.
Garnish with chocolate curls.