- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 flour tortillas, cut into thin strips
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sirloin steak or large shrimp
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 bottle lager beer
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 limes, zest of 1 and juice of 2, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Sour cream, to garnish
- Salsa, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Marinate chicken in dry herbs, beer, ¼ cup olive oil, ¼ cup water and juice of a lime.
- On a baking sheet, toss tortilla strips with some cooking spray and bake in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Toss halfway through the cooking time so they get brown on all sides.
- In a small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss your meat of choice with the spice mixture and reserve.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the meat to the pan and sear until golden brown and cooked through, 5-6 minutes. Add the bottle of beer to the pan and cook to reduce, 3-4 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, place a second large skillet over high heat with 2 turns of the pan of oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the peppers, onions, mushrooms and garlic to the pan, and cook until brown around the edges and tender, 3-4 minutes. Add the zest and juice of 1 lime, chopped herbs, salt and pepper to the pan, toss to combine and reserve.
- When everything is ready, toss the meat, pepper and onions, and toasted tortilla strips together into a casserole dish. Top with the cheese and melt under the broiler. Garnish with juice of remaining lime, sour cream and salsa.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El JefeSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More