- Cooking Time: 10-15
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil for frying (about 1 inch in pan)
- 2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 Cucumber, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 Red Onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 gloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (Fresh is preferred)
- 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- SALAD INSTRUCTIONS
- 1. Add ingredients to salad bowl, toss and set aside
- TAHINI SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS
- 1. In a food processor, combine garlic and tahini. Add kosher salt.
- 2. Remove from food processor and add olive oil and lemon juice. If too thick, add a teaspoon of warm water until desired consistency.
- 3. Mix in parsely
- 4. If not serving immediately refrigerate until service time.
- FALAFEL INSTRUCTIONS
- 1. In a large bowl mash chickpeas until thick and pasty. I suggest mashing by hand for better consistency.
- 2. In a blender or processor, process onion, parsley and garlic until smooth. mix into mashed chickpeas.
- 3. In a small bowl combine egg, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice and baking powder. Stir into chickpea mixture and then add olive oil. Slowly add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky but holds together nicely. Add more or less bread crumbs as needed.
- 4. Form 8 balls and then flatten into patties (about 2 inches in diameter)
- 5. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties until brown on both sides. (about 3 - 5 minutes on each side depending on stove top)
- 6. Drain on paper towel
- 7. Lightly toast a whole wheat (or regular) pita bread, slice off about 1/4 the pita, lightly spread tahini sauce along bottom, add romaine lettuce, 2 falafel patties, spoon in cucumber tomato salad, and serve with a small side of tahini sauce. Enjoy!
NotesThe recipe is simple, the dish is not complicated at all to make, and it is extremely healthy! The taste is incredible! Make sure you use freshly bought pita bread and the Tahini Paste you will need to make the sauce can be found in most Mediterranean markets and sometimes in your local supermarket in the kosher section. Another tip, let the patties chill for about 30 – 40 minutes in the refrigerator before cooking.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Foodie BabySee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More