- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 1 can (16 oz) chick-peas, drained, or 2 C cooked dried chick-peas, drained
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, crumbled fine (about 2/3 C)
- 1/2 C onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 T minced parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each: turmeric and baking soda
- 1/4 tsp each: cumin, marjoram, basil and pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Oil for deep-frying
- Tahini sauce (see recipe)
- Hummus (see recipe)
- 4 to 6 pita breads, heated and cut in half
- Shredded lettuce (optional)
- Chopped tomato (optional)
- Chopped cucumber (optional)
- In large bowl mash chick-peas.
- Add bread, onion, egg, parsley, garlic, 1 tablespoon Tahini Sauce, salt, turmeric, baking soda, cumin, marjoram, basil, and pepper.
- Mix well.
- With wet hands, shape in to 24 balls.
- Fry 12 balls at a time in hot oil (350 degrees) about 5 minutes or until well browned.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Eat as is, or with Tahini Sauce, or put 3 balls into each pita half with some hummus, and top with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber and sprinkle with Tahini Sauce.
NotesSuggestion: Serve with pickle strips.
See separate recipes for Tahini Sauce and Hummus.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Black Raspberry Chip Ice Cream
Chicken with Asparagus and Pine Nuts
Bacon And Cabbage SoupSee More