- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 1 can (16 oz) chick-peas, drained, or 2 C cooked dried chick-peas, drained
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, crumbled fine (about 2/3 C)
- 1/2 C onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 T minced parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each: turmeric and baking soda
- 1/4 tsp each: cumin, marjoram, basil and pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Oil for deep-frying
- Tahini sauce (see recipe)
- Hummus (see recipe)
- 4 to 6 pita breads, heated and cut in half
- Shredded lettuce (optional)
- Chopped tomato (optional)
- Chopped cucumber (optional)
- In large bowl mash chick-peas.
- Add bread, onion, egg, parsley, garlic, 1 tablespoon Tahini Sauce, salt, turmeric, baking soda, cumin, marjoram, basil, and pepper.
- Mix well.
- With wet hands, shape in to 24 balls.
- Fry 12 balls at a time in hot oil (350 degrees) about 5 minutes or until well browned.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Eat as is, or with Tahini Sauce, or put 3 balls into each pita half with some hummus, and top with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber and sprinkle with Tahini Sauce.
NotesSuggestion: Serve with pickle strips.
See separate recipes for Tahini Sauce and Hummus.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More