- Cooking Time: 6
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips (about 3/4 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, each cut in half crosswise
- 4 thin red onion slices, separated into rings
- To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white); stir until well combined. Shape bean mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) oval patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
- To prepare spread, combine avocado and next 5 ingredients (through salt), stirring well. Place 1 patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons avocado spread over patty in each pita half; top with onions and greens.
NotesI came across this recipe when trying to participate in "Meatless Monday." I wasn't sure how my meat-loving boyfriend would like it, but it was a BIG HIT! Great left over for lunch, too.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Recipes for VitalitySee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More