- Cooking Time: 480-600
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 pounds (720 g) boneless beef round steak, cut 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) reduced-sodium canned beef broth
- In a small bowl, combine flour, thyme, and paprika.
- Using a pastry brush, brush steak pieces with Worcestershire sauce. Dredge in flour mixture.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place on stove over medium-high heat.
- Add steak pieces and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer steak pieces to a 3-quart (3-liter) or larger crockery slow cook.
- Top with garlic slices, celery, onions, and tomatoes. Pour beef broth over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- To serve, transfer steak pieces and vegetables to a heated serving platter. Spoon any pan juices over the top and serve at once.
- Per serving: 191 calories (21% calories from fat), 28 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.4 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 71 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean protein, 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 vegetable)
NotesMy Mom used to always make Swiss Steak when me and my brothers were growing up, this isnt her recipe, as she never actually used one, but its alot like hers, I got this recipe from somewhere on the net..
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Amsterdam Friends Cookbook
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More