FAMILY SWISS STEAK
Family Swiss Steak
- Cooking Time: 480-600
- Servings: 6
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 pounds (720 g) boneless beef round steak, cut 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) reduced-sodium canned beef broth
In a small bowl, combine flour, thyme, and paprika.
Using a pastry brush, brush steak pieces with Worcestershire sauce. Dredge in flour mixture.
Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place on stove over medium-high heat.
Add steak pieces and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
Transfer steak pieces to a 3-quart (3-liter) or larger crockery slow cook.
Top with garlic slices, celery, onions, and tomatoes. Pour beef broth over the top. Do not stir.
Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
To serve, transfer steak pieces and vegetables to a heated serving platter. Spoon any pan juices over the top and serve at once.
Per serving: 191 calories (21% calories from fat), 28 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.4 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 71 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean protein, 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 vegetable)