Fancy Liqueur Chocolates
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
* 2 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
* 1 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup
* 2 tablespoons Amaretto or coffee liqueur
* 1 pound dipping chocolate or confectioner's coating
1. Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine sugar, water, cream, and light corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take 5 to 6 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of saucepan.
2. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the thermometer registers 240 degree F, soft-ball stage. The mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching soft-ball stage should take 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Remove saucepan from heat. Cool, without stirring, to lukewarm (110 degree F). This should take about 45 minutes. Remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Add Amaretto or coffee liqueur; beat with the wooden spoon until candy becomes creamy and slightly stiff. This should take about 10 minutes.
4. Shape candy into 1-inch balls; place balls on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Let the balls stand at room temperature about 20 minutes or until dry.
5. Melt the dipping chocolate or confectioner's coating. Carefully dip balls into melted chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off balls. Place the dipped balls on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper until dry. Store tightly covered in a cool, dry place. Makes about 40 pieces.
Fancy Vanilla Chocolates: Prepare Fancy Liqueur Chocolates as directed above, except substitute 2 teaspoons vanilla for the Amaretto or coffee liqueur.