- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryThis easy dish is a good way to get in your greens without making a big complicated salad. I usually make the peppers ahead of time and then make the pizzas for myself throughout the rest of the week. This is one of those foods I could eat every day and never get tired of (and I often do). The arugula on top of the warm cheesy pizza adds some delicious texture.
- 4 thick flour tortillas (try Trader Joe's handmade)
- 4-5 T pesto
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 chicken apple sausages, sliced crosswise
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced and roasted
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 6 oz. baby arugula
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 4 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup shredded or shaved parmesan cheese
- 4 T fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet and brush tops with olive oil. Evenly distribute and layer pesto, mozzarella, sausage, roasted peppers (see instructions below), and walnuts. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the tortillas start to turn golden brown.
- While pizzas are cooking, whisk together olive oil, balsamic, lemon, and salt and pepper. Add parmesan and toss with arugula.
- Top pizzas with dressed arugula, cut into quarters, and serve.
- To roast peppers:
- Slice bell pepper in half to remove seeds, stem, and ribs and then slice into 1/2 inch strips. Toss the peppers with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and cook in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.