- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Put 1 1/4 C of sugar and 1 C of heavy cream in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring it every now and then so it doesn’t boil all over hell and back.
- Meanwhile chop 5 squares of unsweetened chocolate to toss in the pan once you’ve removed it from the heat.
- Stir until the chocolate has completely dissolved.
- Whittle in a stick of butter and then when that’s melted, follow it up with 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Resist the urge to lick the spoon at this point because those tongue blisters would take a month to heal.
- Napalm is napalm, no matter how sweet it might taste.
- Put the pan in the refrigerator and go take a cold shower.
- When the icing is cold, beat the hell out of it with an electric mixer or a wooden spoon.
- Now you can ice that cake, if you bothered to make a cake.
NotesI did a review of this recipe as part of an article interviewing writer Ayun Halliday, author of the book "Dirty Sugar Cookies". This is my quintessential chocolate frosting. One taste of this and I was taken back to my childhood remembering the delicious food prepared by the little old southern ladies at our family reunions and church picnics.
(The recipe below is in the EXACT words of author Ayun Halliday.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
MetroCooking DC 2013
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More