- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 white cake mix
- Red and blue food coloring
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- 1 tube red decorating gel
- 1 tube blue decorating gel
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions.
- Pour 1 cup batter into each prepared pan. Drop 3-4 drops each of red and blue food coloring randomly on batter. Swirl coloring with a wooden skewer. Divide remaining batter evenly between pans, spooning batter gently on top of swirled colors. Drop 3-4 drops each of red and blue food coloring randomly on batter again; swirl coloring with a wooden skewer.
- Bake cakes until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread top with about 3/4 cup frosting. Top with second cake layer. Spread side and top of cake with remaining frosting. Draw several sets of concentric circles on top and side of cake with red and blue decorating gels. Drag a wooden skewer through circles to feather the colors and make bursting fireworks designs.
NotesSuch a pretty addition for the Holiday Festivities!!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More