- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 pounds ripe medium size tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup halved red and orange cherry tomatoes
- 1 refrigerated pie dough crust
- 1-1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup loosely packed small fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Unfold piecrust according to package directions. On a lightly floured surface, roll crust to a 12-inch circle.
- Place in a 9-to 9-1/2-inch quiche dish or 9-inch pie plate.
- Trim edges, if necessary.
- If using pie plate, crimp edge as desired.
- Do not prick pastry.
- Line the pastry with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the cheese evenly over baked pie crust.
- Sprinkle minced garlic and 2 teaspoons of the bread crumbs over cheese.
- Top with one-third of the tomato wedges, one-third of the cherry tomatoes, and 1/3 cup of the remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the remaining bread crumbs.
- Repeat with another one-third of the tomato wedges, one-third of the cherry tomatoes, and 1/3 cup of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs.
- Top with remaining tomato wedges, cherry tomatoes, and cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt. (Crust will be quite full.)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes more or until pastry is golden brown and tomatoes are just starting to brown on top. Remove from oven to a wire rack and sprinkle with basil leaves.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- (If held longer, tomatoes tend to release their juices, which may make the pastry a little soggy.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More