- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 pounds ripe medium size tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup halved red and orange cherry tomatoes
- 1 refrigerated pie dough crust
- 1-1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup loosely packed small fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Unfold piecrust according to package directions. On a lightly floured surface, roll crust to a 12-inch circle.
- Place in a 9-to 9-1/2-inch quiche dish or 9-inch pie plate.
- Trim edges, if necessary.
- If using pie plate, crimp edge as desired.
- Do not prick pastry.
- Line the pastry with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the cheese evenly over baked pie crust.
- Sprinkle minced garlic and 2 teaspoons of the bread crumbs over cheese.
- Top with one-third of the tomato wedges, one-third of the cherry tomatoes, and 1/3 cup of the remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the remaining bread crumbs.
- Repeat with another one-third of the tomato wedges, one-third of the cherry tomatoes, and 1/3 cup of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs.
- Top with remaining tomato wedges, cherry tomatoes, and cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt. (Crust will be quite full.)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes more or until pastry is golden brown and tomatoes are just starting to brown on top. Remove from oven to a wire rack and sprinkle with basil leaves.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- (If held longer, tomatoes tend to release their juices, which may make the pastry a little soggy.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Cooking with Sabra
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Walnut, Honey & Espresso Caramels
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Pizza
Rice PuddingSee More