- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 bacon slices
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 pounds carrots, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Cook bacon in a 4-to 6-quart heavy pot over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Add garlic and caraway seeds to fat in pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is pale golden, about 1 minute. Add squash, carrots, apple, thyme, bay leaves, broth, water, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and boil, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaves.
- Purée about 4 cups soup in a blender, in batches if necessary, until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to pot and season with salt, pepper, and vinegar. Serve topped with crumbled bacon.