- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryFruitcake has gotten a bad wrap. Jokes has been made about getting one.
George Washington was once told his men was out of ammunition. What should they do?
He said" You have fruitcake, put it to good use."
And many of British was kill that day by fruitcake!(True story)
This is a good fruitcake, it will not kill anyone!
- 2 1/2 Cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 2/3 Cups mincemeat
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Cups mixed candied fruit
- 1 Cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Glazed cherries & pecan or walnut halves, optional
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a 9 inch tube pan; line with waxed paper and grease again (or use generously greased and floured 10 inch bundt pan.)
- Sift together flour and baking soda; set aside. In large bowl, combine eggs, mincemeat, sweetened condensed milk, fruit, and nuts.
- Add dry ingredients; blend well.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes. Turn out of pan.
- Remove waxed paper. If desired, garnish with glazed cherries & pecans or walnuts.
- Tip: To store cake, cool thoroughly; wrap well in aluminum foil and refrigerate or freeze.