- Cooking Time: 30 secs to 2 minutes
- Servings: 1
- Preparation Time: 2-5 minutes
BackstoryI love love love mac & cheese.....after I went vegan, I thought I would never experience the yummy creamy texture of my homemade cheese sauce. I tried to duplicate it with Daiya Cheddar Shreds, non-dairy milk, flour, and (my) seasonings, but as much as I love Daiya shreds for so many other dishes, it just wasn't working for me in my "cheese" sauce.
And then...(drum roll please)...Daiya announced they had a new vegan cheese product, "wedges". Of course, I couldn't wait to try them, and finally my local Whole Foods had them in stock! Yippee....
So, one day, I was craving mac & cheese, but had no non-dairy milk. Hmm, what to do? I decided to try a short cut, (who doesn't love a short cut!??). I had some of the new Daiya Cheddar Wedges, so after I cooked my pasta, I cut them up into little squares, threw them into the bowl with the hot pasta, stuck the bowl in the microwave, and...(another drum roll)...super creamy, perfectly melted mac & cheese...
- -1 cup cooked pasta of your choice
- -Daiya dairy free wedge in either cheddar or jack style*
- *(I started with cheddar, but now I use jack style-just a personal preference)
- -Cooked vegetable of your choice, (optional, but I usually throw in cooked mushrooms)
- -Whatever seasonings you prefer- (I just use black pepper)
- Cut up your Daiya cheese wedge of choice, (I'm using jack style), into cubes, approx 1"-2".
- Put cooked pasta into a microwave safe bowl
- Add Daiya cubes
- Add your preferred seasonings
- Add your precooked preferred veggie, (I used mushrooms)
- Microwave for 30 secs to 1 minute, (depending on your microwave), until daiya is melted.
- Take out, stir, and enjoy!