- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh or freeze dried dill
- ½ teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium, sweet onions chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
- 2 ripe (not mushy), avocados, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill and lemon/pepper; set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to the pan and allow it to heat for a minute or two. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, red bell peppers and green peppers. Sprinkle with sugar and cook for about 10 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, mushrooms and salt and pepper. Cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until mixture is caramelized.
- Push the onion/pepper mixture to one side of the pan and place a split hoagie roll on top of some of the hot oil, to brown the roll; remove from pan. Spread the toasted roll with about a tablespoon of mayo. Arrange about one half of an avocado on the bottom part of the roll; set aside.
- Working with ¼ onion mixture at a time, cover it with two slices provolone cheese. Allow the cheese to melt slightly and then, using a spatula, carefully lift the portion of cheese/onion onto the avocado. Top with tomato, if desired, sprinkle with a little more pepper and serve.
NotesIn an effort to make a meatless Philly cheese steak sandwich, I discovered that avocados make a great substitute for the steak. Even my daughter can enjoy these "steak" sandwiches.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More