- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 to 8 fennels according to size
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (for Béchamel Sauce)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt to taste
- grated nutmeg to taste
- 1 tbsp grated Parmiggiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 oz prosciutto, sliced and chopped
- 2 tbsp grated Parmiggiano Reggiano cheese
- Place fennel under running water, clean, quarter and parboil. Drain. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a saucepan and sauté fennel. Set aside.
- Béchamel Sauce:
- melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in a saucepan, whisk in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat. While constantly stirring, gradually add the milk. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; add salt and grated nutmeg to taste, the Parmiggiano cheese, egg yolk and prosciutto.
- In a lightly buttered ovenproof dish, arrange fennel and béchamel sauce in layers; the curved part of the fennel facing upwards. Finish with a light layer of béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with Parmiggiano cheese, dot with remaining butter or margarine and put in a 425F preheated oven for 20-25 mins or until a golden crust has formed on the top. Serve immediately in the cooking dish.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Naked Macaron
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More