Festive Holiday Pumpkin Cranberry Apple Stuffed Braided Bread
Why I Love This Recipe
Our New England family loves the subtle flavor of pumpkin yeast bread and this festive loaf graces our table during the holiday season because it combines native cranberries with almonds in a beautiful apple stuffed holiday bread- amazing!
Ingredients You'll Need
• 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
• 1/2 cup syrup from can of sweet potatoes/yams
• 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
• 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (from 15 oz can of whole sweet potatoes in syrup)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• ½ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie spice
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2/3 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
• 4 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples
• 2/3 cup dried cranberries
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1 cup confectioners' sugar
• 4 teaspoons water
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries
• 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add syrup, sugar, vanilla,spice butter, salt and 3 cups flour- a cup at a time.Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.- in electric mixer or by hand Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and cider. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in apples; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat; stir in cranberries. Cool to room temperature.
Punch dough down; roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spread filling lengthwise down center of dough. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips 3 in. into center. Fold strips at an angle across filling; seal ends. Cover and let rise until doubled.
Beat egg and water; brush over dough. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar, water and extract; drizzle over loaf. Sprinkle with cranberries and almonds. Yield: 1 loaf (24 slices).