- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryStore-bought spiced apple rings dress up basic bread dough. The resulting rolls are both pretty and delicious.
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package regular or quick active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 jar (14 oz) spiced apple rings, drained
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In large bowl, mix 3/4 cup of the flour, the brown sugar, salt and yeast. In small saucepan, heat 1/3 cup milk, the water and butter until warm, 105°F to 115°F. (Butter need not be melted.) Gradually stir into flour mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add egg and 1/4 cup of the flour.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in remaining flour until stiff dough forms. Grease top of dough. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 3 days.
- Grease 12 regular-size muffins cups. Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 15x10-inch rectangle.
- Place apple rings in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on medium speed until almost smooth. Spread apples over dough to within 1/4 inch of edges. Roll up dough tightly, beginning at 15-inch side. Pinch edge of dough firmly into roll to seal. Stretch and shape until even.
- Cut roll into 12 equal slices. Place slices cut sides up in muffin cups. Snip part way through each slice twice, cutting into fourths, using kitchen scissors. Gently spread dough pieces open. Cover and let rise in warm place about 25 minutes or until double. (Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.)
- Heat oven to 375°F. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan to cooling rack. (At this point, rolls can be frozen in freezer-safe bags up to 1 month. To serve, remove rolls from bag and wrap in foil. Reheat in 325°F oven about 15 minutes or until hot.)
- In medium bowl, mix all glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over warm rolls.
- Serve warm or cool.