- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI love the flavor of this recipe. My only complaint with it is that if you do not eat it right away it thickens. I had made it before and it thickened very fast. This time I tried solving the problem by adding in a bit milk right before I tossed the pasta with the sauce. I think it helped but it got ate so fast there was not really much time for it to thicken. I used whole wheat Rotini noodles and seasoned my chicken with Penzey's "Pasta Sprinkle".
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cracked black pepper
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Toss sauce with hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and chopped parsley. Garnish with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.