FETTUCCINE WITH LEMON, ASPARAGUS AND LEEK
- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1lb/500g Fettuccine
- 2 Bunches of Asparagus, approximately 16 medium spears
- 1 Medium Leek
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Toasted Breadcrumbs
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: Roughly chopped fresh herb, such as basil or flat-leaf parsley. 1/4 cup
- Bring 5 litres of salted water to the boil, for the pasta.
- As the water comes to the boil, prepare the leek and asparagus.
- Trim the base and green tops of the leek. Slice in half, lengthwise, then chop into 1/4 inch/5mm slices.
- Break off the tough bases of the asparagus, then chop into 1 inch/2.5cm long pieces.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water, and cook as directed on the package... about 10-12 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over a medium high heat. Add olive oil and leeks, and cook until the leeks are soft... about 4-5 minutes.
- While the leeks are sauteing, steam the asparagus pieces for 2-3 minutes and then shock in ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Once the leeks are cooked, add the minced garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the lemon juice, asparagus to the leek and garlic. Cook briefly, about a minute to ensure things are heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and reserve 1/4 cup of cooking water.
- Combine the pasta, reserved cooking water, asparagus and leek sauce and toasted breadcrumbs... toss to combine. Serve immediately.
NotesThis is a light and simple pasta dish that makes a great lunch, or main meal when teamed with a salad and some crusty bread. It came about as a reworking of a standard asparagus preparation, lemon roasted asparagus, and is quick and easy enough that it's good for cooking after work when time is short.