- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mushrooms, cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 pound mild goat cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 pound fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallion tops
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, and the dried tarragon, if using, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderately high and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown and no liquid remains in the pan, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, Parmesan, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Stir until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fettuccine until just done, about 12 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the pasta-cooking water and drain. Whisk 1 cup of the pasta-cooking water into the goat-cheese mixture. Toss the pasta with the mushrooms, the goat-cheese sauce, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil, the fresh tarragon, if using, and the chives. If the pasta seems dry, add more of the reserved pasta-cooking water. Serve with additional Parmesan.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More