FETTUCCINI WITH BOLOGNESE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3/4 pound mild Italian sausage
- 6 ounces pancetta bacon, diced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 teaspoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound fettuccini pasta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Saute onions, celery, carrots and garlic until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high and add veal, pork, sausage and pancetta; cook until meats are evenly brown.
Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, milk, parsley, basil and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 2 1/2 hours; stir occasionally, breaking up tomatoes with spoon as you stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add fettuccini and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Serve fettuccini topped with the sauce and Parmesan cheese