- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWelcome spring with this simple and delicious pasta dish.
- Fettuccini with Spring Vegetables in a Lemon Butter Sauce
- Serves 4
- 1/2 small head leaf lettuce, cut into a chiffonade
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups shelled young peas
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 9 pearl onions, peeled
- 1 small bunch chervil or parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- For the sauce
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 lb fettuccini pasta
- Heat salted water over medium high heat in a heavy saucepan. When water is at a rolling boil, add pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- For the peas: Heat the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the lettuce, peas, and onions to the pan and stir gently until the lettuce wilts. Add 1/4 cup water, sugar, and salt. Cover and cook over medium low heat until the peas are tender, 15-20 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- For the sauce: Heat the butter in the same heavy saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Do not let the garlic brown. Add chicken stock, lemon juice and zest and let simmer.
- To serve: Toss pasta with spring vegetables and sauce and top with shaved parmesan. Serve immediately.