- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 8-10 fresh roma tomatoes
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium lime
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Rinse the tomatoes and peppers. Cut the tomatoes in half, peel the cloves of garlic and slice the onion into chunks. Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, poblano and jalapeno (leave the peppers whole for now) on the baking sheet and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Toss all of the vegetables around in the oil until they are well coated.
- Place the vegetables in the 450 degree oven and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through. The vegetables should be shriveled, blistered and slightly brown after 30 minutes (see photos below). After roasting, remove them from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place the poblano and jalapeno peppers on a cutting board. Remove the skin from the poblano (it should peel away easily), remove the tops and seed pods from both peppers. The peppers should be very soft and easy to work with (see photos below).
- Dump all of the contents of the foil covered baking sheet (including juices) into a blender along with the peppers. If the vegetables are still warm, you can place the blender into the refrigerator until they have cooled down.
- Add the fresh cilantro leaves and juice from the lime to the blender. You can start with half of each and add more to taste, if desired. Also add the salt, sugar and cumin. With the blender on the lowest setting, blend the ingredients until they are well mixed but still slightly chunky. Don't over puree on the first round so that you can taste the mixture, adjust the seasonings and blend again if needed.
- Serve immediately or let refrigerate over night for a more mellow flavor.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More