- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup cracked wheat (you can use bulgar wheat)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 lb. fish filets, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Bring a quart of water to a boil and add the cracked wheat.
- Turn off the heat and let it soak for a couple of hours before using.
- Drain well in a colander and squeeze out the water by hand.
- Add oregano, salt and pepper, chopped onion, fish, garlix and mint.
- Mix well by hand.
- If the mixture doesn't hold well together, add an egg or two. (I found two eggs worked really well.)
- Form into patties.
- Heat about 1/4 inch oil in a large heavy skillet (cast iron works really well) over medium-high heat.
- Fry the patties until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm with your favorite salsa or with a salad made of chopped tomato, cucumber and onion with a yogurt, lemon and garlic dressing.
- Makes 8 to 12 patties depending on size.
NotesI'm half mexican and my significant other is half lebanese. My mom is from a part of Mexico that happens to have a huge population of Lebanese, and the food influence is notable -- something both of us were excited to find out. Here is a lighter version of an old favorite, Kibbeh, usually made with beef. We tried it the other night with a side of: chopped jicama marinated in orange and lime juice with a pinch of salt.
Note: If you want to make very finely ground kibbehs, run the wheat and fish through a food processor for a few seconds.
From "A Yucatan Kitchen", Loretta Scott Miller.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More