Five Spice Spaghetti
1 oz dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
1 lb lean ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice powder
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tbsp. reduced-sodium or lite soy sauce
1 pkg. RONZONI SMART TASTE Spaghetti
1. Pour hot water over the dried mushrooms (if using); let stand for 20 minutes. Drain. Remove and discard the stems; chop the caps coarsely.
2. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Cook the ground beef, onion, garlic, soy sauce, five spice powder, salt and pepper, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until browned.
3. Add the rehydrated and fresh mushrooms to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.
4. Stir the pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar and sugar into the beef mixture. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the ginger with the sauce and remove from heat.
5. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
6. Spoon the sauce over spaghetti and sprinkle with green onion and Parmesan (if using).