- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar (for a savory pie, omit sugar)
- 1 1/2 sticks cold butter, diced and then re-chilled
- 1/3 c shortening, diced and then chilled
- Sift Flour, salt and Sugar together into a bowl.
- Add Butter and Shortening to the sifted ingredients and then blend with a pastry cutter (or a fork if you don't have one) until the butter and shortening are chopped into bits about the size of very small peas (have also heard of a cornmeal consistency).
- This step is going to take a while, your arm should be tired.
- Once well blended you are going to add ICE WATER 1 Tbsp at a time it is the right consistency--it should look like pie dough.
- Gently form into a ball and then halve.
- Place each halve into saran wrap and chill in fridge for 2 1/2 hours.
- After dough has rested, roll out your crusts.
- Be sure to re-chill the crust in your pie plate after you have put your crust into place before filling your crust.
- This should take about 10 minutes.
- Repeat for top crust but you don't have to re chill the dough.
NotesThis recipe came from Paula Deen. It is the only homemade pie crust I have ever attempted. I am sure there is probably a better one out there, but It goes well with Blackberry Pie.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
Koken met Oma
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More