- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe came from Paula Deen. It is the only homemade pie crust I have ever attempted. I am sure there is probably a better one out there, but It goes well with Blackberry Pie.
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar (for a savory pie, omit sugar)
- 1 1/2 sticks cold butter, diced and then re-chilled
- 1/3 c shortening, diced and then chilled
- Sift Flour, salt and Sugar together into a bowl.
- Add Butter and Shortening to the sifted ingredients and then blend with a pastry cutter (or a fork if you don't have one) until the butter and shortening are chopped into bits about the size of very small peas (have also heard of a cornmeal consistency).
- This step is going to take a while, your arm should be tired.
- Once well blended you are going to add ICE WATER 1 Tbsp at a time it is the right consistency--it should look like pie dough.
- Gently form into a ball and then halve.
- Place each halve into saran wrap and chill in fridge for 2 1/2 hours.
- After dough has rested, roll out your crusts.
- Be sure to re-chill the crust in your pie plate after you have put your crust into place before filling your crust.
- This should take about 10 minutes.
- Repeat for top crust but you don't have to re chill the dough.
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
BROWNIE CUPCAKES WITH PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
Chocolate Chia Protein-Pudding
Bagel PizzaSee More