FLAMING HOT SLOPPY JOES
Flaming hot Sloppy Joes
- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 4-5
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 chopped chipolte pepper in adobo sauce (seeded and stem removed)
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef chuck
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 4 kaiser rolls (any type of sturdy sandwhich roll)
Purée tomatoes in a blender or chop by hand if you like larger tomato pieces.
Cook onion and garlic in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add carrot, bell pepper, chipolte pepper, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add beef and brown, stirring to break up lumps, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add chili powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
Add puréed tomatoes, wine/stock, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar and boil, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 6 minutes. Season with salt if your taste require it.
Serve on kaiser or cibatta rolls
Website Credit: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sophisto-Joes-240266