- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 -- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2-- 13 oz cans evaporated milk
- 1 tb vanilla
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs with a hand mixer.
- Add in the condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla and ½ cup sugar. Mixture should be smooth.
- Carmelized Sugar
- Over medium heat stir 1 cup of sugar until it is brown and caramel-like.
- This should take approximately five minutes,stirring constantly.
- Then, immediately pour several tablespoons of the caramel into 6 remekins. Coating the bottom and sides with the caramel.
- Pour the custard into the carmelized remekins.
- Fill a baking dish with 1 inch of water and place the six remekins in the baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven.
- It is done when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- After the remekins have cooled put into the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, invert each remekin onto a small plate.
NotesThe flan recipe, a delicious egg custard, dates back to Roman times. The Romans domesticated chickens and eggs were plentiful. It started out as a savory dish but in Spain, became a sweet Spanish dessert with caramelized sugar. The Spanish brought it to central and South America, where it is very popular. It is often made in a mold or individual ramekins.
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
AMFC Clamily Cook BookSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More