- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy version of the original recipe, which is from Cooking Light
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon black pepper
- (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced (I like crimini)
- sprig of fresh thyme, or pinch of dry
- cup beef broth
- cup sherry
- tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- (original recipe calls for green onions to be added in at the last minute but I don't like green onions
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare steak, rub with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over both sides of steak. Place steak on a broiler pan; broil 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove the steak from oven; loosely cover with foil.
- To prepare sauce, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter in skillet. Add onion and a little salt; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme; sauté for 4 minutes. Add a little more salt to draw out juices.
- Add broth, sherry, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 8 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch slices. Serve steak with mushroom sauce