- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon black pepper
- (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced (I like crimini)
- sprig of fresh thyme, or pinch of dry
- cup beef broth
- cup sherry
- tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- (original recipe calls for green onions to be added in at the last minute but I don't like green onions
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare steak, rub with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over both sides of steak. Place steak on a broiler pan; broil 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove the steak from oven; loosely cover with foil.
- To prepare sauce, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter in skillet. Add onion and a little salt; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme; sauté for 4 minutes. Add a little more salt to draw out juices.
- Add broth, sherry, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 8 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch slices. Serve steak with mushroom sauce
NotesMy version of the original recipe, which is from Cooking Light
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
The NourishFull KitchenSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More